Sunday, September 23, 2018

Overcoming Stress, Episode 2: Deep Breathing & Yoga



Sales Man Up

Overcoming Stress, Episode 2: Deep Breathing & Yoga

If I feel frustrated in a situation, I take a deep breath and walk away. - Iman

An inspiration - a long, deep breath of the pure air of thought - could alone give health to the heart.  - Richard Jefferies

Yoga is the best holistic workout and body toner there is. It sorts out a chaotic mind and calms the body - it is how I de-stress - or stop myself getting stressed in the first place. - Trudie Styler

I cannot remember the first yoga class I went to. It probably involved my wife, who is a yoga instructor. Yeah, there was an awkward feeling that crept up my spine, not knowing the calls for the yoga positions. I didn’t know the difference between an upward dog, downward dog, or a runaway dog; but I fumbled along, doing my best. There was also the fact that I was the only dude in an estrogen rich class; but I had heard that yoga relieves stress, so I stayed focused on my practice.  I thoroughly enjoyed the outcome - feeling like I had just emerged from a one hour session with a chiropractor or a deep tissue massage. I noticed that when I went to bed that evening, and I took a deep breath, my vertebrae popped (in a relaxing way); and my sleep was deeper. As a matter of fact, I have been told that the deep breathing that takes place within a yoga practice is as important as the movements themselves. Our anxiety ridden culture can cause us to breathe in a shallow manner, preventing much needed oxygen from entering our system. Learning to breathe deeply from our belly or diaphragm is the type of therapeutic breathing that we all  need. Like a Times of India article stated: “ When one goes through anxiety, the body undergoes a sea
change. And experts say that one of the best ways to overcome high levels of anxiety is to do breathing exercises, which help produce endorphins to help calm you down.”

Times of India further lists in a September 2017 article, the following advantages of deep breathing exercises:

  • Natural pain killer
  • Improves blood flow
  • Increases energy level
  • Improves posture
  • Helps the lymphatic system
  • Reduces inflammation
  • Relaxes the mind and body

Reflecting back over the last eight years of practicing yoga, I cannot remember ever regretting the time I invested in completing a one hour session. Yoga forces me to slow down , connect my mind and body, and learn to breathe deeply. One of the things I had to discover was that not all yoga classes are the same; and not all teachers instruct in the same manner. You have to find a class and a teacher that works for you. Unless you’re a Triathlete, PLEASE do NOT begin your yoga journey with Hot yoga ! For the seasoned yogis reading this, understand that I am not hating on this hardcore yoga practice ; but know that a new runner wouldn’t wake up one morning, and decide to grind out a marathon! From my experience with yoga, a simple vinyasa or flow or even restorative yoga class is a great way to begin. ( For the Road Warriors out there, check out the DownDog App or a streamed session from Beth Shaw for a hotel room workout. ) Look for a teacher who has a calm demeanor, a soothing voice, and  possesses a good working knowledge of human physiology . A good instructor will be sensitive to the physical state of all their students and will provide alternate poses for more difficult moves. Remember, the objective in yoga is to relax and connect - not to stress out! This is an environment where there is no competition or expectations. Yoga is not a competitive sport. Yoga sessions are called “practice”, not “perfection “. In yoga, there are no sales quotas, reports, forecasting, or deadlines. Just for today, leave those things behind and embrace deep breathing and fluid movement; and feel the stress slide off of your back onto the floor ! As one of my former restorative yoga instructors use to remind us in the middle of executing a pose, “Breathe !” . To your health !

Become slower in your journey through life. Practice yoga and meditation if you suffer from 'hurry sickness.' Become more introspective by visiting quiet places such as churches, museums, mountains and lakes. Give yourself permission to read at least one novel a month for pleasure. -Wayne Dyer


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happiness Is A Choice

 Sales Blog HAPPINESS IS A CHOICE HAP'PINESS, noun [from happy.] The agreeable sensations which spring from the enjoyment of good; that ...