Friday, May 5, 2017

All Salespeople Are Liars

Sales Man Up

All Sales People Are Liars



To become a successful salesperson, you have to be a liar, right ? That’s what some people think. Some even believe that the words “salesperson” and “ liar” are synonymous. In a few cases, they might be correct. There are those working within the sales profession that would do anything it takes to get the sale, no matter how unethical. I knew a commercial sales rep who had the reputation of reading upside down documents on his subcontractor’s desk; and once leaving the meeting, would use that information to try and steal the business and bypass the subcontractor. It got to where the businesses he called on would never leave important papers on their desk. Pretty slimy, eh ?

Throughout my thirty plus years involved in sales, I have found most salespeople to be honest and ethical individuals who are consummate professionals. There are the few unscrupulous people who lie, cheat and steal; and soil the reputation of our great profession, but they are the exception rather than the rule. It’s like motivational speaker Jim Rohn says ( I paraphrase ) , “ There are only eight or nine nasty terrible people in the world. The problem is that they move around. “

At one point of my sales career, for a few short months, I accepted a position going door to door for a remodeling company in central Florida. I was assigned to work with a salesperson who was the “closer”. My job was to knock on doors, and once I had a qualified lead, my sales partner would set up a meeting and try to get a commitment from the homeowner on purchasing some type of exterior room, siding, etc from us. I received ten percent of whatever he closed from the leads that I brought him. Those of you who operate on straight commission understand with great clarity how challenging and stressful this type of job can be. It is feast or famine baby. One week you get a good check, and the next, nothing. I had to part ways with my “closer” the day that we pitched a homeowner on a screen enclosure, and after the owner declared our quote was too high; my salesman reached into his briefcase and pulled out another lower quote from a competing home improvement company. I quit my sales canvassing position that day. Please understand this wasn’t easy.  I had a wonderful wife at home, nursing our newborn baby boy ; but there was no way I could get up in the morning and face myself in the mirror, knowing that I was cheating and lying to people in order to make a living.

Based on my experience, most sales people feel the same way I do. Our desire is to provide a quality product or service at a reasonable cost, in a timely fashion ; so we can feed our families and lay our heads down on our pillow at night with a clear conscience. Our desire to succeed is coupled with our motivation to serve the customer. In the process of taking care of the customer’s needs, we find what we need. True salesmanship is a win/win situation, not a “ win at all costs”, as some would make it.

My challenge to all salespeople is “ prove the skeptics wrong” ! Show the critics by your life and actions that you can carry out your profession with honesty and integrity. Say what you do, then do what you say. Above all else, keep your word.  This is integrity. One message that aligns our words and our actions. No, all salespeople are NOT liars. Winners don’t lie, and liars never win.  

No legacy is so rich as honesty.  -William Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happiness Is A Choice

 Sales Blog HAPPINESS IS A CHOICE HAP'PINESS, noun [from happy.] The agreeable sensations which spring from the enjoyment of good; that ...