Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Door To Door Boldness




Door to Door Boldness


Successful people know that obstacles are opportunities in disguise.


J.R. Hirschfeld, Entrepreneur & Motivator




The writer of Proverbs states that “ the wicked  flee though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion. “  (Proverbs 28:1 NIV ) There’s a reason that the lion is called the “ King of the beasts”. OneKind.org says that a lion’s roar is the loudest of any big cats that exists, and can be heard up to 8 km away. The lion is a symbol of strength and courage, and it has been celebrated as an icon of power throughout history. Do you tackle your sales career like a lion ? Are you bold, fearless, retreating before no one; and ready to push through to every opportunity ?


For a short season in my sales career, I was a door-to-door aluminum salesman in central Florida. I walked from house to house, cold calling on home owners as I attempted to land leads for our aluminum siding, soffit & fascia, and screen enclosures. Every lead that I obtained, I passed on to the “ closer” salesperson ; and I would receive 10% of any contracts that he brought in from my leads. In the course of my job, I wore out two sets of penny loafers ( literally wore the leather off the soles ). All I could think about was my young wife at home nursing our newborn son and managing the homefront. Needless to say, I was motivated ! A person’s hunger drives them forward.


I averaged approximately fifty doors for every one lead. The salesman I worked for had a decent closure rate, but needless to say, it was either feast or famine when you worked on straight commission. Going door-to-door, it became easy to grasp the fact that sales is a “ numbers game” , meaning the more doors you knock on , the more opportunities you have. Are you experiencing a slump right now in your sales ? Let me ask, have you knocked on enough doors ? Are you going back to the same old doors in a familiar neighborhood, expecting them to open ; or do you need to break out of your comfort zone and find some new doors to knock on ? The process can be scary and exciting at the same time, but it works if you don't give up.


In my door-to-door season, I experienced a fair amount of people slamming doors in my face, and telling me to “ go to hell”. Some people even sicked  their dogs on me. Some were kind though, and showed interest in my products. I would’ve missed those opportunities if I didn't knock on those doors. Even with these challenges, though discouraging at times,I could not be deterred; because my “why” was stronger than the rejection I faced. Even though I felt like a house cat sometimes, I chose to be as bold as a lion because I knew my cause was right , and I had a family who was counting on me. Keep knocking on those doors and believe that behind the next open  door could be a “yes”.


Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you. -  Thomas Jefferson


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happiness Is A Choice

 Sales Blog HAPPINESS IS A CHOICE HAP'PINESS, noun [from happy.] The agreeable sensations which spring from the enjoyment of good; that ...