Monday, January 1, 2018

New Year New Day




Sales Man Up Blog

New Year New Day

Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man. - Benjamin Franklin

It may be childlike and simplistic, but I never cease to be amazed at the wonder of the rising or setting sun. My phone and IPad memory are full of sunrise photos. Even like the one I posted to accompany this blog, taken recently over Daytona Beach Shores on a weekend fishing trip with my wife; I find that every single event is unique and different. No two sunrises are alike. It’s as if God paints for us a new portrait in the sky every single morning and night. I don't know about you, but I draw inspiration from that ! Nature displays for us a powerful of truth of “ starting over “ every morning and evening.

As a business professional, and especially functioning in the role of a salesperson; a new year means new quotas, new forecasting, and new goals. No matter how good last year’s business was, we begin again. No matter how bad last year's numbers we're, we have the opportunity to begin again- a brand new day to prove ourselves once again. There is something exciting about having the opportunity of starting something new. I remember as a little boy, the positive anticipation of starting a new school year each Fall , when I was in grade school. The smell of my cigar box holding my pencils and erasers that were ready for action ; and the feel of my new clothes ; along with the fulfillment of seeing my friends again ; gave me confidence and joy. I loved learning, and I still do. A new year affords opportunities to learn and grow.

How many of us pause and take time during this season, to establish new goals and objectives , both personally and professionally ? I used to be skeptical of “ New Year’s Resolutions “ , but I have grown to appreciate the value in establishing plans and recording them. My greatest problem has resulted in doing a stellar job writing my goals down, but summarily forgetting all about them ! A wise counselor once shared with me that when it comes to our goals and our business, we have to “ Plan, Do, Review “. The review phase is the area that I constantly have to push myself in. The “ new “ part is the phase that gives us those endorphin hits to the brain, and those of us who are adrenaline junkies are always ready to drop what we are doing, and plunge ourselves into the next adventure. I have discovered that there is great virtue in checking my business vitals -  what is the temperature of my business ? How am I doing in relation to my business plan ? Am I staying focused on my key target accounts, or have I allowed myself to get distracted ? In which areas could I do a better job serving my clients ?What does my time allocation look like - am I staying on task, or am I letting the pressure of urgent things like texts or emails to derail my key objectives ? This is where the “ plan, do, review “ philosophy is applied. All of us can be distracted. All of us can procrastinate doing the tougher tasks, like cold calling, prospecting, or business development ; and substitute easier work , like returning emails, vacuuming out our business vehicle; or grabbing a cup of Starbucks.

Many of us set personal goals during this time of year. I break mine up into categories like : spiritual , relational, creativity and recreational goals, physical fitness; and vocational/ financial goals. If you have a desire to help inner city children or orphans in Honduras , then write it down. If you want to take an Alaskan cruise with your family this year, then record it. If this is the year to lose fifty pounds or be able to run that 5K or Triathlon , then put it down on paper. I have found that a universal law exists that many of us never recognize or tap in to. Not to go “ guru” on you, but I believe that we help bring things into existence by writing them down and by confessing them outloud. This is not magical, but from a reasonable perspective, understanding those things that we think on and meditate on the most, are the things that we tend to take action on the most. That’s where the “review” phase earns its wings. My wife and I even set household goals each year, and review them periodically. We both find ourselves amazed at how many of these recorded goals get accomplished over the period of the year. So… don’t just think about those goals, let me encourage write them down ! Does this guarantee that every goal will be accomplished ? No. But one thing is certain, the person who sets no goal will hit it every time !

Today is a new day. This year is a new year. The journey of a thousand miles does begin with just one step. We need not condemn ourselves for yesterday’s shortfalls or think too highly of ourselves for our past accomplishments. What matters is today. Today, we start over with a clean slate, a fresh start, and a new beginning. Start well, my friends, and finish strong !

Make New Year's goals. Dig within, and discover what you would like to have happen in your life this year. This helps you do your part. It is an affirmation that you're interested in fully living life in the year to come. - Melody Beattie

Your success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties. - Helen Keller






No comments:

Post a Comment

Happiness Is A Choice

 Sales Blog HAPPINESS IS A CHOICE HAP'PINESS, noun [from happy.] The agreeable sensations which spring from the enjoyment of good; that ...