Sunday, January 20, 2019

Kill The Snake



Sales Man Up

Kill The Snake

Success is where preparation and opportunity meet. - Bobby Unser

Opportunity dances with those already on the dance floor. - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

It was the biggest snake I’d ever seen. Well, not exactly the whole snake; but it’s skin, from the back of the head to just before his rattlers, stretched the full length of my brother’s eight foot long bedroom wall. As a little boy of seven, looking up at this  massive snake skin was like observing a slain sea monster or a creature of the night which slithered through the Florida Everglades. As a matter of fact, my older brother Jim had stumbled upon this monstrous snake while hiking in the Everglades. The reptile was curled up in the sun, when Jim came upon him, and quickly pinned him down with a big stick. He decapitated him with his hunting knife. How was a teenager able to tackle a reptile that large ? The answer came when Jim skinned the snake, and found a rabbit inside of him! The snake was laying by a palmetto patch trying to digest bugs bunny when Jim nailed him. When asked why he killed the snake, Jim replied, “ A rattler that big was bound to kill someone if someone didn’t kill him first. “

So where in the world does this barbaric act connect with modern day business? We all deal with big snakes in some manner. January is typically the time for many of us to examine our habits and behaviors, and to set new goals. Can you think of any self defeating habits or behaviors that you need to change ? I know I can, and I have written some things down as action steps to help me make some positive changes in my behavior this year, starting today! I realize that on January 2nd, a proverbial gun goes off ; and we all seem to jump into this new season like a race horse galloping at full speed. I am convinced , though, that we must invest the time to schedule an honest evaluation of our past, and reflection about our future. This pause for reflection, helps us form the “why” in what we do. Without a solid “why” in life, we are like an untied blown up balloon, let go, and flying here and there until our air is gone.

Part of pursuing my goals this year has included establishing and cleaning up my own product library, reviewing and taking inventory of my sales tools, and organizing my electronic files so that I can quickly access any information that my clients might need. My desk is always a challenge as I struggle to tame the “ paper tiger”. I’d much rather be doing a presentation than sitting at my desk doing paperwork. Yet it must be done. Another personal goal- my mantra for this year- is to “ do it now”. When someone needs information, pricing or samples; unless I am driving or in a meeting, my goal is to get it done . I have to fight the temptation to put things off and do them later. It is easy to get busy and forget, and things can slip through the cracks. Following up and following through shows that we care, and this forges strong relationships on all levels. Words are easy to speak , but actions rule.

That big snake could also represent a huge business opportunity that you’ve set your sites on this year. Just like with Jim, timing is everything and persistence is King. We must be aware of our surroundings, stay connected and empathic to our prospect’s needs; and keep the necessary tools readily available to get the job done. Then enjoy the rewards of your labor. Just as Jim mounted that snakeskin onto a piece of paneling and nailed him to the wall ; take the time to enjoy your new business relationships with an attitude of thankfulness . Happy hunting !


Take time to gather up the past so that you will be able to draw from your experience and invest them in the future. - Jim Rohn


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happiness Is A Choice

 Sales Blog HAPPINESS IS A CHOICE HAP'PINESS, noun [from happy.] The agreeable sensations which spring from the enjoyment of good; that ...